A robot could be controlled using a wide range of devices starting with computers and finishing with mobile devices like smartphones or tablets. Back in 2007, Apple introduces on the iPhone the first version of iOS and since then the mobile operating system was released in many versions and for many Apple devices like iPad or iPod Touch. All of these devices are no longer used just for communication or Internet navigation, all of these could be used for many more applications including the control of robots.
Using wireless technologies like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, anyone passionate about robotics and with development skills could build apps to control remotely robots.
This article contains tutorials for a wide range of Apple devices including iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. All of these smart devices are powerful tools to design and create robotic applications for educational to hobbyist purposes.
Below are available a series of tutorials and guides written for beginners to advanced user, and for simple to advanced robots.
Tutorials How To Build iOS Apps Controlling Robots
Tutorials for helping you understand how it works and how to build iOS applications to control a robot.
If you want to start building iOS applications for robotic control, all of the tutorials presented below can become a real support to make you the first step in the world of Apple technologies connected with different robots. From simple robots to NXT robotic applications, all of these tutorials have something in common and this is the iOS operating system.
- iPhone controlled Solar Powered Arduino Tank – programming lines to build an iPhone application that uses Open Sound Control signals to control a small tank;
- Controlling an Arduino with an iPhone – tutorial for helping you understand and build an iOS application for WiFi communication between an iPhone and an Arduino board;
- iPhone Controlled Logging Robot – a project that uses the iPhone and Arduino devices to send and receive data from different sensors in order to control remotely a robot through a Wi-Fi network;
- Mobile robot control using Bluetooth Low Energy – tutorial how to design an iOS application for iPhone to control a mobile robot through Bluetooth wireless technology;
- [link not available]iPhoneRobot: The iPhone Lego NXT Mindstorms Robot Demo – guide to build an iPhone application to control an NXT robot;
- iPhone Controller – guide to control an Arduino board using an iPhone/iPod Touch and Wi-Fi connectivity;
- Arduino/iOS Two Way Communication – an example of how an Arduino board could be controlled using an iOS device;
- TouchOSC with Processing, iPhone and Arduino – guide to learn how to use iOS devices and the OSC protocol to control an Arduino board;
- [link removed] Android iOs Wifi controlled Arduino – guide to use WiFi technology to control a robot using Androi or iOS device;
Build iOS apps under Mac OS
In this section of the article are available a series of tutorials in order to bring you closer to iOS development under Mac computers.
- Building iOS Apps From Scratch – comprehensive guide with tools and programming lines to build an iOS app from scratch;
- How To Create A Simple iPhone App Tutorial – guide to start building a simple app for iOS with steps and detailed explanations about how it works;
- How to Make an HTML5 iPhone App – tutorial how to build a HTML 5 interface for iOS;
Always a series of tools and software resources could help the developer in the process of developing applications. Below are available tools and resources related with iOS to develop fast and easy iOS applications.
- Xamarin – tool to develop fast and native iOS or Mac applications;
- Apple Accessory Protocol – a list with communication protocols to connect an iPod with accessories;
- iPhone Serial Port Tutorial – tutorial with steps and programming lines to use serial protocol RX and TX on an iPhone as a standard UART serial port;
- Access additional resources in the iOS Dev Center – Apple provide a wide range of resources to start developing apps for iOS;