This board is not designed with robotics in mind, but it could be helpful in some applications.
It has an ARM processor, Android OS, and Cellular connectivity. In other words, the board can run ROS and stay connected to the 4G Internet via nano-SIM. For most of us who build adventurous robots with an Internet connection, Orange Pi 4G-IOT can replace the Raspberry Pi board and a 4G USB dongle.
Also, the price is very attractive. On Aliexpress the board price is $45.00 – the price does not include the shipping costs.
I know that it’s about marketing, but about the fact that the board is open-source, I still do not understand how it would help me integrate it more easily into my projects or develop applications in another niche.
Regarding the features, the board supports sensors like accelerometer, fingerprint identification for security, IR control, camera, and touchscreen display.
Orange Pi 4G-IoT has a built-in Emmc memory with a capacity of 8GB. The memory space is enough to run the OS and some code, but it makes me nervous when I think that the board was designed for games and multimedia.
The full list of specifications:
Orange Pi 4G-IoT specifications:
- SoC – Mediatek MT6737 quad-core Cortex A53 processor @ 1.1/1.3 GHz with Arm Mali-T720MP1 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot
- Video Output – HDMI, LCD display interface with touch panel support
- Audio – 3.5mm earphone jack, built-in microphone
- nano SIM card slot
- “GSM” antenna + diversity antenna
- 2G – GSM @ 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- WCDMA – B1/B2/B4/B5/B8
- LTE Cat 4
- FDD-LTE – B1/B2/B3/B4/B7/B107/B20
- TDD-LTE – B38/40/41B
- Connectivity – WiFi, Bluetooth, FM, and GPS with antenna
- Camera – 25-pin ZIF connector for 13MP camera
- USB – 3x USB host ports, 1x micro USB port (only for flashing firmware)
- Sensors – Accelerometer, fingerprint (how?)
- Expansion – 40-pin header with 2x SPI, 3x I2C, 2x UART, 1.8V
- Misc – IR receiver, power key, power and status LEDs
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via power barrel jack; battery support through “weld plate”
- Dimensions – 85 x 55 mm