8051 is not just a number, is the name of one of the most advanced microcontrolled used in robotics. This single chip microcontroller is a box where are stored many functions like CPU, RAM, ROM, Timer, Serial Communication Interface, I/O ports, etc. First version appeared in 1980s and since then the microcontroller is a popular chip for embedded systems.
The 8051 microcontroller is a small computer based on an architecture with support for embedded applications. This is the biggest difference between a microcontroller and microprocessor. A microprocessor is used in personal computers while a microcontroller is used for embedded systems especially in robotics.
Since 8051 is the most common microcontroller designed especially for robots, I decide to write an article with resources for beginners and advanced users. In this article, I include resources for programming, simulation, compile, programmer kits and especially tutorials to learn how the 8051 microcontroller is programmed or simulated.
8051 Microcontroller Programming Tutorials
Beginners or advanced users can read these tutorials for educational purposes to learn how to program a 8051 microcontroller or used for inspiration in case of advanced users.
- How to Program For 8051 Microcontroller – short tutorial with tools and steps to program the microcontroller in order to blink an LED. The tutorial can be useful for beginners;
- Driving 8 LED C Programming 8051 Microcontroller – the programming code that uses WHILE loop construct to drive eight LED’s;
- Interfacing LED To Microcontroller & LED Blinking Program – tutorial with the steps described to show how to interface the LED to the microcontroller;
- C Programming for 8051 Using KEIL IDE – tutorial for beginners that explain how Keil development and testing software can be used in C programming for 8051 microcontroller;
- Paul’s 8051 Tools, Projects and Free Code – tools and library for 8051 microcontroller series;
- 8051 Tutorials – a series of tutorials how to programming 8051 microcontroller;
- Tutorials for Microcontrollers – another series of tutorials how to write programming code for microcontrollers;
- 8051 Microcontroller Tutorials – tutorials from C to assembly language programming;
- Programming Embedded Systems – introduction course for 8051 microcontroller;
- Embedded C Programming – series of articles about 8051 microcontroller;
- 8051 Programming in C – comprehensive tutorial how to use the C programming language to write code for 8051 microcontroller;
- USB & GLCD Expansion Board for 8051SBC – tutorial how to use and test the programming code for the Ezy USB-M01 board;
- How to Simulate a Microcontroller in Multisim – tutorial with steps to simulate the 8051 microcontroller in Multisim;
Useful tools designed to be used in the development process for 8051 microcontrollers.
- Raisonance – application simulator for 8051 microcontrollers;
- JSIM51 – free simulator for 8051 microcontroller and one of the most popular simulators with comprehensive documentation to learn how can be used;
- Micro C 8051 – simulator C and assembly programming language compatible;
- C51 Software – a simulator tool for classic and extended 8051 microcontrollers;
- Proteus VSM for 8051 – complete tools for developing and test programming line for all series of 8051 microcontrollers;
- Crossware 8051 – a simulation tool that creates a virtual clone of 8051 microcontroller that runs on computers;
- EdSim51 – one of the most popular simulator tool for 8051 series with interface for virtual peripherals and keyboard, ADC, or DAC;
- Tiny 8051 Microcontroller Simulator 0.6.1 – designed for educational purposes, Tiny is a simulator written in C# programming language for simulation and debugging;
List with C or C++ compilers and support for 8051 microcontroller series.
- SDCC – C compiler for a wide series of microcontrollers including the 8051 models;
- mikroC PRO for 8051 – C compiler with friendly interface and support for Atmel and Silicon Labs microcontrollers;
- Keil – powerful and efficient C simulator for 8051;
- TASKING – compiler compatible with 8, 16 and 32-bit microcontrollers;
- IAR Embedded Workbench for 8051 – C and C++ compiler for 8051;
- 8051 C Compiler – based on ANSI standard, the Crossware 8051 C compiler is designed for 8051 microcontroller series;
- 8051 C++ Compiler – C++ simulator with support for object oriented programs;
- Ceibo 8051 C++ – C++ compiler with support for Object Oriented Programming and used for debugging and code maintenance;
- 8051 C-Compiler uC51 – a friendly interface tool based on ANSI C standard;
In this section I make a list with hardware devices called programmer and used to write in the 8051 microcontroller memory the machine language code.
- 8051 Programmer / Debugger
- TOP2048 USB Universal Programmer
- 3123KT – ATMEL 89 Series Programmer KIT
- C51 Development Tools
- AS3128ZIF – ASSEMBLED USB Flash PIC Programmer with ZIF Socket
- Silicon Labs MCUniversity Program
- Easy8051 v6
- 8051 Software Development Tools
- 8051 Microcontroller Programmer – USB
- USB 8051 (89 series) & AVR Microcontroller Programmer
- 8051 Microcontroller Self Learning Kit
8051 Microcontroller Instructions Set
For a precise control, the microcontrollers may operate under instructions. These instructions are commands written for microcontroller and divided into various categories including arithmetic, logic, data transfer, Boolean variables, and machine control instructions.
- 8051 Microcontroller Instruction Set
- 8051 / 8052 Instruction Set
- 8051 Microcontroller Tutorial(basics)
- Architecture and programming of 8051 MCU’s
- The 8051 Microcontroller and Embedded Systems Using Assembly and C
- Architecture and programming of 8051 MCU’s
- 8051 Microcontroller Port Programming
- 8051/8951 Microcontroller Instruction Set
- 8051 Instruction Set