Every now and again we take a look around at the 8051 microcontroller to select the best tutorials, simulators, compilers, programmers and present them to you in a brief overview. The choice is enormous, so the time you need to find all these resources is usually the time you should be investing in your current projects. We search for them, and we find them, so you can have it in one place.
8051 is not just a random number; it’s the name of one of the most frequently used microcontroller in robotics. This single chip microcontroller is a very small black piece where are stored functions like CPU, RAM, ROM, Timer, Serial Communication Interface, I/O ports, etc. The first version was presented in the 1980s, and since then the microcontroller has been embedded in a large variety of robotics projects.
The 8051 microcontroller is a small computer based on an architecture with support for embedded applications. This is the biggest difference between a microcontroller and microprocessor. A microprocessor is used in personal computers while a microcontroller is used for embedded systems, especially in robotics.
8051 Microcontroller Programming Tutorials
Beginners or advanced users can read these tutorials and learn how to program an 8051 microcontroller, or in the case of advanced users, can use them for inspiration.
- How to Program For 8051 Microcontroller – short tutorial with tools and steps to program the microcontroller in order to blink an LED. The tutorial can be useful for beginners;
- Driving 8 LED C Programming 8051 Microcontroller – the programming code that uses a WHILE loop construct to drive eight LED’s;
- Interfacing LED To Microcontroller & LED Blinking Program – tutorial with the steps described to show how to interface the LED to the microcontroller;
- C Programming for 8051 Using KEIL IDE – tutorial for beginners that explain how Keil development and testing software can be used in C programming for 8051 microcontrollers;
- Paul’s 8051 Tools, Projects and Free Code – tools and library for 8051 microcontroller series;
- 8051 Tutorials – a series of tutorials from where you can learn how to program the 8051 microcontroller;
- Tutorials for Microcontrollers – another series of tutorials how to write programming code for microcontrollers;
- 8051 Microcontroller Tutorials – tutorials to learn how to use C or assembly language to program the microcontroller;
- Programming Embedded Systems – introduction course for 8051 microcontroller;
- Embedded C Programming – the series of articles for 8051 microcontroller (link removed);
- 8051 Programming in C – comprehensive tutorial how to use the C programming language to write code for 8051 microcontrollers;
- USB & GLCD Expansion Board for 8051SBC – tutorial how to use and test the programming code for the Ezy USB-M01 board;
- How to Simulate a Microcontroller in Multisim – tutorial with steps to simulate the 8051 microcontroller in Multisim;
Useful development tools compatible with the 8051 microcontroller.
- Raisonance – application simulator for 8051 microcontrollers;
- JSIM51 – one of the most popular simulators with comprehensive documentation to learn how to use the 8051 microcontroller;
- Micro C 8051 – C de programare Embedded – seria de articole pentru 8051 microcontroler;
- C51 Software – a simulator tool for classic and extended 8051 microcontrollers;
- Proteus VSM for 8051 – complete tools to develop and test programming line for all series of 8051 microcontrollers;
- Crossware 8051 – a simulation tool that creates a virtual clone of 8051 microcontrollers that runs on computers;
- EdSim51 – one of the most popular simulator tool for 8051 series with interface for virtual peripherals and keyboard, ADC, or DAC;
- Tiny 8051 Microcontroller Simulator 0.6.1 – designed for educational purposes, Tiny is a simulator written in C# language to simulate and debug the 8051 microcontroller;
The list with C or C++ compilers that support the 8051 microcontroller series.
- SDCC – a C language compiler for a wide series of microcontrollers including the 8051 models;
- mikroC PRO for 8051 – a C compiler with friendly interface and support for Atmel and Silicon Labs microcontrollers;
- Keil – a powerful and efficient C simulator for 8051;
- TASKING – the compiler compatible with 8, 16 and 32-bit microcontrollers;
- IAR Embedded Workbench for 8051 – a C and C++ compiler for 8051;
- 8051 C Compiler – based on ANSI standard, the Crossware 8051 C compiler is designed for 8051 microcontroller series;
- 8051 C++ Compiler – a C++ simulator with support for object oriented programs;
- Ceibo 8051 C++ – a C++ compiler with support for Object Oriented Programming and used to debug and maintain the code;
- 8051 C-Compiler uC51 – a friendly interface tool based on ANSI C standard;
In this section, we did a list of hardware devices called programmer. These devices are used to write in the 8051 microcontroller memory the machine language code.
- 8051 Programmer / Debugger
- TOP2048 USB Universal Programmer
- 3123KT – ATMEL 89 Series Programmer KIT
- C51 Development Tools
- AS3128ZIF – ASSEMBLED USB Flash PIC Programmer with ZIF Socket (link removed)
- Silicon Labs MCUniversity Program
- Easy8051 v6
- 8051 Software Development Tools
- 8051 Microcontroller Programmer – USB
- USB 8051 (89 series) & AVR Microcontroller Programmer
- 8051 Microcontroller Self Learning Kit
8051 Microcontroller Instructions Set
For a precise control, the microcontrollers may operate under instructions. These instructions are commands written for microcontroller and divided into various categories including arithmetic, logic, data transfer, Boolean variables, and machine control instructions.
- 8051 Microcontroller Instruction Set
- 8051 / 8052 Instruction Set
- 8051 Microcontroller Tutorial(basics) (link removed)
- Architecture and programming of 8051 MCU’s
- The 8051 Microcontroller and Embedded Systems Using Assembly and C
- Architecture and programming of 8051 MCU’s
- 8051 Microcontroller Port Programming
- 8051/8951 Microcontroller Instruction Set
- 8051 Instruction Set